If you are looking for an exercise with body weight to improve your shoulder mobility and build strength in the upper body, consider without a doubt learning Ring Muscle-Ups
The Ring Muscle-Ups are considered one of the most difficult ring exercises to learn, but we disagree. We are sure that thanks to our guide you will be able to learn very quickly this Olympic gymnastics movement.
But first of all a little clarity about this spectacular movement.
What are Ring Muscle-Ups
The Ring Muscle-Ups are an advanced exercise of Olympic gymnastics, which exploits as resistance the body weight and are performed with rings< in wood or plastic.
The exercise consists of three parts:
- An early stage called ring pull-up.
- A central phase called muscle-up transition.
- And a final phase called ring dip.
The Ring Muscle-Ups are a challenging exercise that can help you build very quickly the explosive strength of your triceps, your biceps, your sidewalls and your core.
Before you get to realize your first Ring Muscle-Ups it is important to consider several practice exercises that allow you to build the final movement.
The ones we recommend in order are:
- Strict ring dips
- Strict pull-ups
- Bar muscle-ups
By performing these 3 preparatory movements, you will be optimally prepared to perform your first Ring Muscle-Ups.
How to run Ring Muscle-Ups
After practicing the movements described above, it’s time to start trying your first Ring Muscle-Ups.
Here is the step by step transition to run your Ring Muscle-Ups.
1. After standing under the rig, jump to grab the rings with a false grip, keeping your body weight perpendicular to your heels.
2. The arms and legs remain perpendicular and tense while the elbows are slightly bent.
3. Squeeze the buttocks and quadriceps and activate the core.
4. Rotate shoulders outwards to activate the lateral muscles. The shoulder blades should be rotated upwards from the spine. The chin should remain hidden throughout the movement as if you were holding an egg under your chin.
5. Start the upward movement by quickly pulling down on the rings using the arms. The pull should be fast and strong.
6. Allow the unlocked legs to help you swing forward while you dip on the rings.
7. Osccillate slightly backwards as the upper body travels towards the rings.
8. Keep your elbows close to your body and keep pulling until your chest is in a raised position to the rings.
9. Once your chest is higher than the rings, move your chest forward and quickly push your upper body upwards by straightening your elbows as if you were pretending to dive. The arms should be fully extended to create a strong and stable position.
10. Start the dip movement downwards by bending the elbows to lower the chest towards the rings. Shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar.
11. Allow the legs to travel forward, and once the chest reaches the level of the hand, rotate the upper body back and down to the starting position.
12. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
That’s it! You’ve managed to make your first Ring Muscle-Ups! Accomplishments!
Advantages of Ring Muscle-Ups
There are several really important benefits for your body if you decide to learn Ring Muscle-Ups
1. Ring Muscle-Ups will help you build your body’s superior strength quickly.
2. The Ring Muscle-Ups are a powerful workout for the dorsal, biceps, triceps, trapeze, and pectoral muscles.
3. Ring muscle-ups can help improve shoulder mobility.
Healthy joints and strong shoulders can help you perform many daily tasks and improve your athletic performance.
4. Muscle-Ups Ring can help to develop grip strength.
Ring Muscle-Ups progressions require different grip positions, including a neutral grip and a false grip.
Practicing these grip techniques can help you hone grip mechanics, and facilitate muscle building of your hands, wrists and forearms.
How to train safely and avoid injuries
If you suffer or have suffered from a health condition that prevents certain movements, it is good to consult your doctor before starting such a demanding exercise program as that of Olympic gymnastics.
Proper exercise technique is essential to ensure the safety and effectiveness of an exercise program like this, but you may need to modify each exercise to achieve optimal results according to your individual needs.
Always select a weight that allows you to have full control of your body during all the movement.
When performing any exercise, pay close attention to your body and stop immediately if you feel pain or discomfort.
In order to really build a path that improves strength, always incorporate a proper warm-up, never skip the rest phase, and cure nutrition .
The results will ultimately depend on your ability to properly recover from your workouts.
Rest for 24-48 hours before training the same muscle groups to allow sufficient recovery.
Equipment for Ring Muscle-Ups
What we need is essentially a pair of wooden or plastic gym rings and straps. We also need a high support to hang them on.
Here is everything you need to build your training station.
Wooden gym rings
Until a few years ago, wooden rings could be seen almost exclusively at the Olympics, but thanks to cross training and calisthenics, they are becoming more common in gyms and home gyms.
Training with rings increases strength and increases muscle mass without putting pressure on the joints.
The rings are made of laminated Baltic birch. The package also includes polyester straps, with a load capacity of 1.5 tons, which guarantee maximum safety during any operation.
The straps are equipped with a velcro part, on which is attached the excess part of them
Buy them here
Durable plastic gym rings
The KingsBox Black Gymnastics Rings are made of durable plastic and have a steel core inside. They are designed to fit both the man’s grip as well as the women’s. The long polyester straps withstand all weather conditions and hold up to 1.5 tons of weight which gives you the opportunity to safely perform all kinds of exercises.
With this product you will add instability to all movements, which will make your workout much more effective as your body will be forced to activate multiple muscle groups simultaneously. With this product you will have the possibility of a complete training, with a minimum expense!
Buy them here
KingsBox Ring Hanger
The KingsBox Ring Hanger was produced with the aim of offering all sports enthusiasts a solution to hang the rings or climbing rope in the gym or comfortably at home.
Buy it here
Royal Branch Wall Bracket
Royal Branch Wall Bracket is the simplest and safest solution to hang the rings or rope, even when you do not have a rig. It was designed for quick and easy installation.
This product, entirely made of steel, gives you the opportunity to introduce in your workouts new exercises, hanging the most desired accessories, safely and reliably, so in the gym as well as at home. In addition to the climbing rope and the rings, you can also hang the punching bag, expanding your training!
buy it here
Ovviamente se non ne siete in possesso vi invitiamo ad acquistare uno dei nostri meravigliosi RIG Outdoors. Cliccate sull’immagine e scoprite la nostra infinita gamma di products dedicated to outdoor training.
Here we are at the end of our wonderful guide on how to learn Ring Muscle-Ups. As you have seen, the necessary equipment is also very cheap. You have no more excuses. You just have to start now!